Make your own pumpkin pie spice for a truly homemade dessert.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 cake pan.
2. For the cake batter, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy in a large bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add pumpkin. Combine the flour, pie spice, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and ginger; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
3. Fill prepared cake pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
4. For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the powdered sugar, vanilla and cinnamon; beat until smooth. Frost cooled cake and refrigerate leftovers.
5. For cupcakes, fill tins ¾ full, and bake for approximately 20 minutes. This recipe makes 24 large (not jumbo) cupcakes.