Hartwick Pines State Park Hosts 14th Annual Forest Fest Aug. 13 | Outdoor Channel
  • like this.
Upgrade Today
Story Posted

Hartwick Pines State Park Hosts 14th Annual Forest Fest Aug. 13


Aug. 10, 2011

Contacts: Craig Kasmer or Pam Engel 989-348-2537 or Mary Dettloff 517-335-3014

Hartwick Pines State Park Hosts 14th Annual Forest Fest Aug. 13

The Michigan Forest Visitor Center at Hartwick Pines State Park near Grayling will host the 14th annual Forest Fest from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m Saturday, Aug. 13. The Forest Fest provides fun, educational activities for children and families to learn about this important natural resource.

Children will receive a Natural Resources activity booklet and can earn stamps by visiting each activity station. Events include children’s games, exhibits and displays on a variety of forest and natural resource-related topics. Children can complete the booklet to win a prize.

Guests can also learn about the health of Michigan’s forests and find out where to go for specific questions and help managing forests on their own private land. Educational handouts will be available, providing information on forest management and health as well as tips on preventing and suppressing wildfires. Wildlife organizations will be on hand as well as a live animal show by naturalist Jim McGrath at 1 p.m.

Hartwick Pines State Park is located at 4216 Ranger Rd. in Grayling. The Forest Fest is a free event; however, a Recreation Passport is required for entry into the park.

Contact Craig Kasmer at kasmerc@michigan.gov or Pam Engel at engelp@michigan.gov for information about this event. For more information about other natural resource-based and historical programs offered at Hartwick Pines State Park, visit www.michigan.gov/dnrvisitorcenters and click on the link to the Michigan Forest Visitor Center or the Hartwick Pines Logging Museum.

The Recreation Passport has replaced motor vehicle permits for entry into Michigan state parks, recreation areas and state-administered boating access fee sites. This new way to fund Michigan outdoor recreation opportunities also helps to preserve state forest campgrounds, trails and historic and cultural sites in state parks, and provides park development grants to local communities.

Michigan residents can purchase the Recreation Passport ($10 for motor vehicles; $5 for motorcycles) by checking "YES" on their license plate renewal forms, or at any state park or recreation area. Nonresident motor vehicles must still display a valid nonresident Recreation Passport ($29 annual; $8 daily) to enter a Michigan state park, recreation area or state-administered boating access fee site; these can be purchased at any state park or recreation area, or through the Michigan e-Store at www.michigan.gov/estore. To learn more about the Recreation Passport, visit www.michigan.gov/recreationpassport or call 517-241-7275.

The Michigan Department of Natural Resources is committed to the conservation, protection, management, use and enjoyment of the state's natural and cultural resources for current and future generations. For more information, go to www.michigan.gov/dnr.


Share This Story



Explore the United States Explore the United States Explore the United States. Find information about and activities within your state.
Get Started