Mustard Pickles Recipe
Rick Browne and local cookbook author Ester Clowater-Sarchfield cook mustard pickles
Total time: 45 minutes
- 2 quarts chopped cucumbers (peeled and seeds removed)
- 1 quart onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 green peppers, coarsely chopped
- 1 quart cauliflower, in small flowerettes
- 1 red pepper, coarsely chopped
- 4 cups vinegar
- 4 cups white sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- ¾ cup flour
1. In a large pot heat vinegar, 3 ½ cups white sugar, spices, salt and flour for 15-20 minutes.
2. Add the chopped peppers, onions and cauliflower to the pot.
3. Peel the cucumbers, cut in half lengthwise, then using a spoon, hollow out the center of the cucumbers like you're making a canoe to remove the seeds. Then cut in half lengthwise again and chop into 1-inch pieces, and add to the pot. Stir. Cook just until it breaks a boil.
5. Remove and pour into warmed jars, seal and label.