Cooking Mustard Pickles with Rick Browne and Esther Clowater-Sarchfield (Video) (Recipe)
Esther’s Mustard Pickles
- 2 quarts chopped cucumbers (peeled and seeds removed)
- 1 quart chopped onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 green, coarsely chopped
- 1 quart cauliflower, in small flowerettes
- 1 red pepper, coarsely chopped
Peel the cucumbers, cut in half lengthwise, then using a spoon, hollow out the center of the cucumbers like you're making a canoe to remove the seeds. Then cut in half lengthwise again and chop into 1-inch pieces.
- 1 quart vinegar (4 cups)
- 3 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
In a medium bowl mix with a little vinegar from above mixture:
- 1 tablespoon tumeric
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 cup white sugar
Then slowly add this to pot of vinegar, sugar and salt to make sauce.
Add the chopped veggies to the sauce and cook only until it breaks a boil.
Remove and Pour into warmed jars, seal and label.
Tried this recipe? Share your comments below using Facebook!