How to Make Pumpkin Preserves
Rick Browne and Ester Clowater-Sarchfield lay out the best way to make your own pumpkin preserves for fall
Yield: 3 cups
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time:1 hour
Total time:1 hour 20 minutes
- 1 preserving pumpkin (a preserving pumpkin will look inverted)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 orange sliced, with rind still on
- 1 lemon sliced, with rind still on
- Small handful cloves, approximately ⅛ cup
1. Peel pumpkin and remove the seeds. Dice pumpkin into small pieces (you'll need 3 cups). Put diced pumpkin in a large pot.
2. Add orange, lemon, whole cloves and sugar to the pot. Mix ingredients together and refrigerate overnight.
3. In the morning, remove pot from the refrigerator and stir well. Place on the stove over medium-heat and simmer until the pumpkin is transparent (approximately 1 hour).
4. Bottle while warm.