MI: Learn the Sport of Trapping | Outdoor Channel
  • like this.
Upgrade Today
Story Posted

MI: Learn the Sport of Trapping

Trapping 101 Clinic Offered Sept. 10 at Brimley State Park

By: by Michigan Department of Natural Resources

If the sport of trapping has always sounded interesting, the Department of Natural Resources is offering the opportunity to learn more. Join certified instructors at 9 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 10, for a Trapping 101 course at Brimley State Park in Chippewa County.

The class will cover trapping history, safety, rules and regulations, techniques and conservation. Participants must be a minimum of 8 years old to attend, and an adult must accompany those who are 8 to 10 years of age.

There is no charge to attend, however, an optional starter kit is being offered for $10. Sponsors of the class have contributed to the kits, which contain more than $10 worth of supplies.

The DNR’s Recreation 101 program offers year-round clinics that recruit top instructors and sports equipment vendors to provide free or inexpensive hands-on lessons with the goal of giving the novice sportsman enough skill and knowledge to begin a new activity.

Brimley State Park is located at 9200 West 6 Mile Rd. in Brimley. Pre-registration is required as class size is limited. To register, call Mike Anderson at 906-440-6133.

A Recreation Passport is required for vehicles entering Brimley State Park. The Recreation Passport has replaced motor vehicle permits for entry into Michigan state parks, recreation areas and state-administered boating access fee sites. This new way to fund Michigan's outdoor recreation opportunities also helps to preserve state forest campgrounds, trails, and historic and cultural sites in state parks, and provides park development grants to local communities.

Michigan residents can purchase the Recreation Passport ($10 for motor vehicles; $5 for motorcycles) by checking "YES" on their license plate renewal forms, or at any state park or recreation area. Nonresident motor vehicles must still display a valid nonresident Recreation Passport ($29 annual; $8 daily) to enter a Michigan state park, recreation area or state-administered boating access fee site; these can be purchased at any state park or recreation area, or through the Michigan e-Store at www.michigan.gov/estore. To learn more about the Recreation Passport, visit www.michigan.gov/recreationpassport or call 517-241-7275.

The Michigan Department of Natural Resources is committed to the conservation, protection, management, use and enjoyment of the state's natural and cultural resources for current and future generations. For more information, go to www.michigan.gov/dnr.

Share This Story