Man Bun BBQ Venison Sandwich Recipe
Make this Man Bun BBQ Venison Sandwich Recipe on the grill or in a slow cooker
This Man Bun BBQ Venison Sandwich Recipe features shredded venison meat with BBQ sauce on a toasted onion hoagie. (Gregg Ritz photo)
Initially inspired by the Arby’s “We Have the Meats” campaign, this Man Bun BBQ Venison Sandwich Recipe was created by the host of Hunt Masters and industry leader in outdoor manufacturing, Gregg Ritz.
Yield: 6 sandwiches
Total time: 5 hours
- 2 pounds boneless venison roast
- Traeger Realtree Big Game Rub
- 1 bottle Traeger BBQ sauce, any flavor
- 6 onion rolls
- Beef broth (optional, see directions)
1. Season all sides of venison roast with Traeger Realtree Big Game Rub. Place the venison roast in a roasting pan (or sturdy disposable foil pan). When ready to cook, start the Traeger grill on “Smoke” with the lid open until the fire is established, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the meat from the roasting pan and place it directly onto the grill grates. Smoke venison for 1 hour.
2. Set the roasting pan aside; you will need it later. Transfer the smoked venison to the reserved roasting pan. Increase the temperature of the grill to 300 degrees. Place the roasting pan on the grill grate. Roast the meat for 2 ½ to 3 hours, turning the meat over in the juices once or twice. (Use tongs to lift the lid or foil to avoid steam burns.)
3. If the pan seems dry, add beef broth. The meat is done when it is very tender and can be pulled apart easily. Let the meat cool slightly, and then shred with a pair of forks. Add bottle of Traeger BBQ sauce and mix well. Spoon meat onto onion rolls. Enjoy!