Smoked Venison Sandwich Recipe
Sometimes the most simple recipes, like this smoked venison sandwich one, are the best
The venison in this recipe can be served in a sandwich, or with your favorite side. (Jenny Nguyen-Wheatley photo)
Marinate time: 12-24 hours
Cook time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Venison loin, tenderloin or steaks
- Dale’s Original Steak Seasoning
- Caramelized onion
1. Start with any amount of venison, back straps, inside tenders or steaks. Any steak thickness will work, but I've had best results with steaks cut to about 2-inch thickness. Leave the inside tenders whole, however. Remove any tendons and fatty material. Soak in water 12-24 hours, changing the
water 2 or 3 times.
2. Marinate the venison in Dale's Original Steak Seasoning for 4 hours.
3. Pre-heat a smoker to 215 degrees. Place meat onto a rack and smoke to an internal meat temperature of 165 to 175 degrees. Depending on the amount of meat you are smoking, this usually takes 60-90 minutes. I use cherry wood for the first 30 to 45 minutes with heavy smoke and then just allow the meat to finish out to temperature.
4. Thinly slice venison and place on a roll. Top with caramelized onion, lettuce and cheese.