Boat Safe this July 4th
Go slow, expect delays, BoatUS say of busy holiday week
The best seats for waterfront fireworks are
from a boat, but boat owners will need to be
cautious this holiday week, says BoatUS.
ALEXANDRIA, Va. – Boat Owners Association of The United States (BoatUS) says this July 4th holiday week will be a doozie for America’s recreational boaters.
While boaters will have the best views for waterfront fireworks shows, “From June 29 to July 7, America will have more boats on the water than at any other time during the entire summer boating season,” said BoatUS Director of Public Affairs Scott Croft. “Patience will run thin, mistakes will happen. Our 24-hour call centers are expecting several thousand requests for routine breakdowns, dead batteries, or flat trailer tires.”
BoatUS has these five tips to keep boaters happy and safe:
- Have a life jacket for everyone aboard, and if guests aren’t wearing it, keep it near them, under a seat ready to grab. It’s the number one step you can take to ensure everyone has a good day on the water. If you need to borrow a right-sized kids life jacket (at no cost), go to the BoatUS Foundation’s Free Kids Loaner program, www.BoatUS.com/foundation/ljlp/.
- Be patient: The July 4th holiday is traditionally America’s busiest recreational boating period, with the most on-the-water traffic. Go slowly after fireworks shows end, post extra lookouts on the way home, and be prepared for delays at the launch ramp.
- In freshwater, very small amounts of 120-volt AC current can kill. If the kids want to take a swim, never allow it in a marina, and only swim near a private dock if it is without electrical service or the power has been shut off at the source.
- Dead batteries and prop entanglements lead the list of requests for on water towing assistance. Download the BoatUS Towing App at www.BoatUS.com/towingapp to summon water or roadside assistance. On water towing plans start at $43 for freshwater. BoatUS Trailer Assist roadside towing program with 100 miles of truck+trailer towing starts at $14, plus $24 BoatUS or BoatUS Angler membership. Marina discounts on fuel, transient slips and tackle shops are included.
- Go ahead and celebrate America’s birthday with gusto! Just remember that being on the water all day can exacerbate alcohol’s effects, so think about holding off until after you’ve safely made it home, and drink lots of water.
Boat Owners Association of The United States (BoatUS) is the nation’s leading advocate for recreational boaters providing its over half-million members with government representation, services such as 24-hour on water boat towing as well as roadside assistance for boat trailers and tow vehicles, feature-packed boat insurance programs, money-saving benefits that include marina and West Marine shopping discounts, and vital information that improves the boating, fishing and sailing lifestyle. Its member-funded BoatUS Foundation is a national leader promoting safe, clean and responsible boating.
Share This Story