2005 Voted All-Time Greatest Bass Angler by fans (ESPN All-Time Greatest Angler Debate)
- 1st Place finishes: 20 National events.
- Top 10s: Over 150 in National events.
- 1976,1977,1984, and 1990 Bass Masters Classic World Champion.
- 1988 B.A.S.S. Angler of the Year.
- 28 consecutive years qualifying for the Bass Masters Classic World Championship.
- Qualified for 33 Bass Masters Classic World Championships.
- 1st Angler to win a million dollars in competitive bass fishing.
- 1985 Redman All-American Champion.
- 1983,1986 U.S. Open Champion.
- 14 B.A.S.S. National Championship wins.
- Holds the Bass Master Classic World Championship all-time catch Record of 75#9.
- FLW Champion Ross Barnett, Mississippi, Feb.,1997.
- FLW Champion Beaver Lake, Arkansas, April 2000.
- FLW Champion Pickwick, Alabama Lake, June 2000.
- 2001 B.A.S.S. Mega-Bucks Champion.
- All-Time leading money winner FLW Tour, over $700,000.
- Inducted Bass Fishing Hall of Fame 2001.
- Inducted Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame 2001.
- 2002 B.A.S.S. Central Open Sam Rayburn Champion.
- 2005 Voted All-Time Greatest Bass Angler by fans (ESPN All-Time Greatest Angler Debate)
Largest Bass: 13#15 Alabama.
Bass Fishing Hero: Holmes B. Clunn, father.
Sponsors: Bass Pro Shots, Tracker Marine, Rick Clunn
Signature Glass Rods ( W&M), Trokar hooks, Rick Clunn Classics Square Bill Crankbaits by Luck-E-Strike U.S.A., Rico Topwater Lures, Trickster
Bass Pro Shops and Tracker Marine:Was recruited to represent these companies by
Johnny Morris In late 1988. Job description was Professional Bass Angler whose
purpose was to promote and expose these companies and their products during all
competitive bass fishing events in which he participated. Was also to grant his
name, likeness, and signature for promoting and marketing these companies and
mutually agreed upon products of these companies. The impressions created by
Rick Clunn has steadily grown from around 3 to 6 million (Target impressions)
to 20 to 25 million impressions annually.
Luck 'E' Strike U.S.A.: Have been with John Hendricks and Luck 'E' Strike for
over 13 years and has served as a product consultant and the primary
professional endorser of Luck 'E' Strike fishing lure products.
Lobina Lures (Rico Topwater Lures): Have been lure designer and primary professional
endorser of Rico Topwater lures for over 15 years.
Wright & McGill Co. & Tro-Kar Hooks: Have recently (Late 2010) joined with Wright
& McGill to design a Rick Clunn Signature Series of Rods. Have also agreed
to join their Tro-Kar Hooks Angling Team for 2011 and beyond. Wright &
McGill are based out of Denver Colorado and have been involved in the fishing
industry for over 85 years.
Before becoming a full time Professional Bass Angler in March of 1976, Rick worked for 10 years in Houston, TX. in the Exxon Oil company's Computing Center. It was the 2nd largest computing center in the world at that time. NASA was the largest.
Caught first bass at age 6 on a red-white Lucky 13.
Guided on Lake Conroe Texas for 14 years (1975-1989).
Quote: One of the questions Rick is most often asked is
"What would you tell young, aspiring fisher persons?" His answer is,
"Live your dream!" No matter what it requires, you must be true to
your self. Whether it translates into honors and awards must be set aside.
Whether you have the approval of others must be ignored. Being happy and in
harmony with the rest of creation comes only when your pursue your heart felt
dreams. Real dreams are dynamic. There is no final destination. It is more
accurately a continuous journey where you experience your higher self in the
most intimate way imaginable. You realize your dream is your vehicle to search
for perfection. It is your art form, which gives you the creative ability to
give back to creation. His angling journey has been his greatest teacher. It
has become his infinite quest to reconnect with the wonders of creation.
Creation's greatest gift was our creation. Our greatest gift in return is to
fulfill our creative potential.