Try this dish using Better Than Bouillon beef base to add the perfect flavor.
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a roasting pan or large baking dish (9x13) with vegetable spray; set aside.
2. Cut 12 large leaves off of cabbage head, and place in boiling water, let stand until leaves are limp; approximately 3 minutes.
3. Measure out ½ cup of hot cabbage water and add the Better Than Bouillon beef base. Mix well until dissolved.
4. Meanwhile, add the above mixture with the the elk, sausage, ½ of the tomato paste, rice, egg, seasonings and vegetables together in a large bowl, mixing to combine.
5. Put 1-4 tablespoons, depending on size of leaf, of meat mixture in center of each leaf; tuck in sides and roll to cover meat; placing seam side down in prepared pan. Roll any leftover filling into meatballs and cook them with the cabbage rolls.
6. Mix the sauce ingredients together in a saucepan and heat through so the sugar and beef base is dissolved. Pour over the rolls and meatballs. Cover with the remaining cabbage leaves.
7. Bake for 1 hour 45 minutes. Discard the top cabbage leaves, and stand back – they will knock you down to get to these cabbage rolls.
For more elk recipes, visit MissHomemade.com.
Tried this recipe? Share your comments below!