Savory Caribou Stew (Recipe)
Permitted use provided by: MissHomemade.com
- 1-1/2 lbs caribou stew meat, cubed
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup canola or olive oil
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp homemade onion powder
- 1/2 tsp homemade garlic powder
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 TBS homemade worcestershire sauce
- dash of balsamic vinegar
- 2 to 3 cups homemade beef broth
- 2 cups potatoes, diced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups carrots, diced
Heat oil in a heavy skillet. Toss the meat with flour, and carefully add to the skillet with the onion. Season with the garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Brown on all sides of the meat well and make sure the onion is translucent.
De-glaze the pan with the red wine, and add the worcestershire sauce and balsamic vinegar. Add the beef broth; simmer for an hour.
Now add the potatoes, celery and carrots; simmering for 15 minutes. During the last 15 minutes of cooking, add the dumpling dough to the stew. (recipe follows)
Never Fail Dumplings
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 TBS fresh rosemary, chopped
Sift the dry ingredients. Add the egg and milk. Stir and drop by spoonfuls into stew. Keep covered for 5 minutes, then uncover and boil several minutes longer. Serve immediately.
Tried this recipe? Share your comments below using Facebook!